HELP! Removing a lower unit, Yamaha 225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Removing a lower unit, Yamaha 225

Does any one have any tips or tricks to removing the lower unit? It clearly has been a long time since this has been removed. This motor is a '91, 225 HP. I cant be sure when it was removed last. I have removed three bolts on each side and the single one under the trim tab, for a total of seven bolts. I have pounded on the lower unit with a hammer onto a 2x4 to loosen it but nothing seems to budge. I have run the engine on the hose for 10 minutes while I hammered and followed up after turning it off and never seem to make a difference. Unfortunately to add insult to injury I managed to shear three of the bolts while removing them. Cleary the previous owner didnt understand the concept of using anti-seize.

Any and all comments are welcome. Lobster season is coming in a few weeks!!

Thanks,
    Keith

3 14's on each side, 1 12 down to tab and 1 15 up ....if 3 broke off it is still hanging onto those corroded bolts, the aligning pins AND the drive shaft.
    i would try turning thew powerhead over, maybe to jar the shaft along with your mallet method. you can also heat up the area around the broken bolts with acetylene or a plumbers torch. good luck, let us know what worked the bestest for you.
    they make a copper based marine grade never seize.....apply in excess.

Comment

Hi, about the broken bolts, once you get the lower unit down, If you can grab the broken bolt with a vice grip, ues the torch to heat the area, then try turning the bolt. I like to use the MAP gas, it burns much hotter than acetyline, you will do the job in half the time, with much less effort. The whole set up is available at home depot, for about $30.00. Let us know how you make out, Dennis

Comment

Working...
      X