Yamaha 225hp OX66 Idling Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 225hp OX66 Idling Problem

This is a 1999 motor that was built late in 1998 and seem to run fine at top end but smokes a lot at idle and sometimes dies . The oil pump seem to be adjusted correctly but I noticed a lot of black carbon where the exhaust comes out. Cleaned the oxygen sensor and it did not look to bad considering it had never been cleaned and the plugs looked good. Any Ideas?

Have you checked compression, if you have carbon build up the rings may be sticking due to carbon. Check sync on throttle linkage and TPS setting.

Boats.net
    Regards,
    Boats.net Forum Admin

Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts at
    Discounts Up to 80% off Retail!

Comment

if you havent done these recently... :

CHANGE plugs
      change motor fuel filter
      change low pressure pumps
      clean vapor tank filter
      shock w/ ring free or sea foam
      test 02 sensor

Comment

jb123

I am not a Sea Foam user,if you look what the ingredients are you would wonder why it would work. Ring-Free is a better product and I will try a shock treatment. I believe you are on to something when you are talking about the fuel pumps. If one is leaking, I can see why it will cause a problem at idle.

Comment

generallly.....you will see unspent fuel in the water with a bad diaphram.when you pull them,blow thru up....should sound like a kazoo... down should let NO air pass...if so it is compromised. You could also hook a vacuum tester to the bottom (in) side and test for no drawdown.

Comment

??

would a bad fuel pump cause the engine to surge

Comment

Working...
            X