Salt / corrosion build up F115 power head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt / corrosion build up F115 power head

My apologizes if this has been discussed, but a search of the forums didn't turn up anything -

I've got an '06 F115 with 34 hours - had it in for 10 hour service, looked great - check the oil occasionally about every 2nd or 3rd trip. Looks good runs fine...

I go to check the oil yesterday and find I've got a salt build up starting on the power head and the oil fliter is so covered I couldn't get the part number off of it if I had to..

Called the Service manager at the dealership and he informed me that I need to be cleaning the motor (with the cover off, obviously) each time I use it. He recommended spraying water from the stern of the boat aft ( to avoid getting water in the intake) and then flush the motor as the heat will dry the the residual water. Then spray the motor with a silicone type protectant.

He said this procedure is in the manual by I'll be darned if I can find it anywhere. I can't believe that spraying water on a hot engine is smart, in any respect.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is/was the resolution? Thanks

Originally posted by rudeboyelvis View Post
    My apologizes if this has been discussed, but a search of the forums didn't turn up anything -

I've got an '06 F115 with 34 hours - had it in for 10 hour service, looked great - check the oil occasionally about every 2nd or 3rd trip. Looks good runs fine...

I go to check the oil yesterday and find I've got a salt build up starting on the power head and the oil fliter is so covered I couldn't get the part number off of it if I had to..

Called the Service manager at the dealership and he informed me that I need to be cleaning the motor (with the cover off, obviously) each time I use it. He recommended spraying water from the stern of the boat aft ( to avoid getting water in the intake) and then flush the motor as the heat will dry the the residual water. Then spray the motor with a silicone type protectant.

He said this procedure is in the manual by I'll be darned if I can find it anywhere. I can't believe that spraying water on a hot engine is smart, in any respect.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is/was the resolution? Thanks
    Elvis, I think you miscommunicated with your service manager - there's no way you should have to take the cover off and clean the engine after every use. Spraying the engine with WD40 or silicone is a good idea - my F200 is 3 years old and looks brand new under the cover. And even without the spray, there's no salt buildup anywhere.

I think you probably have a leak in the engine cooling system somewhere that is letting hot salt water spray onto the engine. Since it's under warranty, take it back to the dealer and make them fix it. Depending on how bad it is, and how tough you're feeling, you might consider demanding a new motor - if the entire thing has been sprayed with hot salty water, you're going to have corrosion and electrical problems going forward, no matter what.

Tim

Comment

Working...
    X