Yamaha '91 225TXRP Overheating??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha '91 225TXRP Overheating??

I have owned this engine for 3 years and never had any issues with it.. always starts on the first or second turn of the key. It has approximately 400 hours currently.

The last two times I have been out I got the overheat alarm and the engine reduced RPMs by design. The first time it overheated, I was running at higher RPMs than normal so I didnt think much of it. The second time, I was running at 4300-4400, which tends to be my normal RPM when wanting to move quickly. I was running at 4400 for approxaimately 5-6 minutes before it overheated,,, I gave it a few minutes by turning it off and the alarm had cleared. I travelled the rest of the distance at 4000 RPM and it was fine.

I have the digital gauge and it showed that it was temp as the problem.

I decided to check the thermostats... When I removed them, they looked like they werent in great shape but I cant be sure what that means in terms of age. I did not bring them in and put them in boiling water as the test.

I thought I might try putting the rabbit ears on the motor to see if I get water coming out the openings where the termos go, but when I turned the water on I did not get any coming out of the block... so I decided to fire the engine up in that condition. No water was coming out of the openings when I had the engine running either, they were running for 1-2 minutes.

Shouldnt I see water there when the motor is running ?

My piss valve on the motor always has a strong flow out of it, whether idling/running in the water and when idling on the hose.

This motor only is run in saltwater and has all its life.

Ultimately I replaced both thermos and removed the poppet valve to check it out. The tech at the shop said to just verify that it wasnt melted, it was in perfect shape.

I understand all indicators may point to an impeller, however if I have strong flow from the piss valve yet no flow into the block...????

Any informed input would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Keith

you REALLY should replace ALL of those items regularly, the less you DO the more you will have these issues.I do them all yearly as a little maintenance goes a long way and makes your powerhead last a bit longer.

Comment

It only gets better...

As I awaited some feedback, I began the lower unit removal process...

And now I have a few bolts that managed to shear off.. and I was doing it all manually no power tools. The guy I got this boat and motor from didnt seem to ever do much maintenance so who knows when these were ever off last.

Comment

Buy a good easy out. I like the fluted kind instead of the cheap spiral cut kind. I drill a pilot hole thru to the end of the bolt, then spray some PB blast into the back side of the bolt. Drill the correct sized hole for the easy out. usually you will heat up the area while drilling, and see the PB blast boiling from around the edge of the bolt. Put a wrench on the easy out. add some heat on the surrounding area with a blowtorch and tap the wrench gently with the hammer. This works pretty well when you don't have access to an impact wrench and has saved me a couple of times. Drill straight and don't break the easy out off!

Comment

Working...
        X