need starter help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need starter help

I need some help. I have a yamaha HPDI 2005 model 225 hp. Wouldn't start last week. I took the one year old battery back and they say its good...still holding 12-14 volts of power. When turning the key, goes click. Took off cowling and top of flywheel. Checked all fuses on side of motor. All are good. Starter will lift and engage the flywheel with its teeth, but not turn it. The flywheel is somewhat difficult to turn by hand but will tuen. I figured since its turning compression in the cylinders, than the difficulty is acceptable. My question, is whats the next diagnostic step? Or do I have a bad starter all together? And since the starter is engaging can I rule out a problem with the sylinoid? Thanks for saving me a $100.00 diagnostic trip to the mechanic.

yes, make sure youre gettin 12+ to starter when turning over.

Comment

HI, While you have the spark pluge out, check to see that they are not wet. Also crank the motor and make sure that no water is in the cyllinders. If there is none, then look for a corroded or loose connection, as "Just in time" stated.
      Dennis

Comment

The wires may be corroded inside the jacket.

Comment

you COULD checkthe pliability of the cables...but an '05 in N kentucky freshwater....hmmm possible. Let us know what you find out.

Comment

Working...
          X