Replacing water separator - 130 Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing water separator - 130 Yamaha

Help! First time replacing a water separator. How much fuel will come out of the separator when I unscrew it? Any recommendation how to catch fuel so it doesn't go into bilge?
    Thanks!!
    Steve Hargrove

keep it upright like it is mounted an minimal will spill...pour it into a glass, jar etc and see the ratio.

Comment

Thanks, JB123. I figured it might be something I could do myself and save $70 bucks labor charge.
      Steve
      Steve Hargrove

Comment

It depends on how long fuel lines are set up. If a long line to the engine above the separator quite a bit of gas may drip out even if you keep the old filer level.

Have many paper towels on hand and a few under the separator.

jop

Comment

Replacing water separator

Another idea would be to disconnect the fuel hose at the tank end. Run the
          engine at your slip until you exhause the gas in the fuel lines. Maybe you will
          have less spillage that way.

Sherwin

Comment

If you have room under the filter, buy a cheap aluminum pan with high sides at a grocery store and put it under the filter as you unscrew it. When it it removed, you can bend the corner into a spout to transfer the gas to a glass container for inspection. Then please dispose of the fuel safely. I accumulate mine in a gas can marked "Bad Gas" and bring it to the town's hazardous waste collection day once a year.

Comment

Working...
            X