703 control box,, push WOT need pull WOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 703 control box,, push WOT need pull WOT

I have a newer 703 control box on my boat. I have a 86 70hp Yamaha 2 stroke outboard that I'm mounting on it. Im stuck.. The motor wants the throttle pulled for wide open throttle and the control want's to push for WOT. Seems like I'm missing something kinda stupid. Is there something to flip in the contril box?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SD

These are the instructions from my 703 operation manual (#703-28199-33):

1. Pinch the wire cover with your fingers and pull it out to remove.
    2. Loosen the screws and remove both upper and lower back panels.
    3. Loosen the two screws holding the neutral throttle lever, and remove the throttle drum. Rotate the drum 180 degrees, and hold the neutral throttle lever with the same screws. Note: Use care so that the roller does not jump out due to spring force.
    4. Remove the throttle arm for the push-to-open throttle type, and install the throttle arm for the pull-to-open throttle type. Note: Replace the cam roller attached to the throttle arm with the throttle arm for the pull-to-open throttle type. (looking at the diagram, looks like a curved linkage arm is turned 180 degrees from curl on top to curl on bottom, and installation changed from the hole on top of the throttle pivot to the one underneath)
    5. Align the main shaft and throttle arm with the grooves, and align the drive pin with the slot, and secure the upper back panel with the three screws.
    6. Secure the lower back panel with the two screws, and install wire cover.

There are a couple diagrams in the manual, so the pictures might help make it a bit more understandable if these instructions aren't so clear.

John

Comment

push pull

I had the same problem. This solution is not real easy, but doable. I fixed mine, and you will have to readjust your linkage so the shift and gas will work correctly. Go here for pics.

Yamaha 703 Control- converting pull to push

Comment

Originally posted by jsparker View Post
        These are the instructions from my 703 operation manual (#703-28199-33):
        First that all I would like to thanks everyone for the great help, I noticed that JSPARKER has an operation manual for the 703, I bought an old boat with this box but the box was dismantled I put it together as the "logic" indicated, the motor starts and all but the lever is disconnected and sometimes is hard to start up because it has no prime, Can you scan the manual and post it? I would really appreciated

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by suckerdave View Post
          I have a newer 703 control box on my boat. I have a 86 70hp Yamaha 2 stroke outboard that I'm mounting on it. Im stuck.. The motor wants the throttle pulled for wide open throttle and the control want's to push for WOT. Seems like I'm missing something kinda stupid. Is there something to flip in the contril box?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SD
          i had the same problem, and had to buy a pull to push instead , at the control end it pulled and at the outboard end it pushed then sell your old one? ps i did try altering it but it was,nt to good ( no god if it lets you down at sea good luck Graham

Comment

Working...
          X