tilt/trim...bleeding the system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tilt/trim...bleeding the system?

I have a 1997 yamaha 90 outboard...the trim motor went out and i have replaced that but i am having trouble bleeding the system. Can anyone help with this problem??

Loosen manual release screw, lift motor to up position(check trim fluid when in up position) and let motor go down on its on. Repeat 4 times then tighten manual release and trim up.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I thought you were to raise motor with trim pump, fill resevoir thru fill opening on back of bracket, then loosen bleed screw and let motor drift down. Repat steps until air noises stop.

Maybe that's what you were saying--

Comment

If you have air in the system and you run the elect. motor it will create foam( tiny air bubbles). So the less you run the motor the quicker the air will work it's way to top and escape. Running the motor will work but if the foam gets too thick inside system you may have to let it sit for about 20 minutes.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
          Loosen manual release screw, lift motor to up position(check trim fluid when in up position) and let motor go down on its on. Repeat 4 times then tighten manual release and trim up.
          So you are saying to manually lift the engine? What is the best way to do this with a 200 hp?

Comment

Need help with air bleed of trim motor of 200 HDPI

My 2001 200 hp HDPI will not trim down from full tilt up all of a sudden. The motor is getting power because you can hear it trying but from reading this post and others on the internet, it sounds like I have low fluid. I am confused by some of the suggestions on how to check fluid, which fluid to use and how to properly bleed air out of the cylinder. This post referred to manually moving the motor up and down to avoid the air and fluid foaming...well we all know that a motor this big does not want to be moved manually unless you have got Arnold Schwarzenegger handy to help you with it. Another question is why all of a sudden did I have a failure in this? I have twins and both have always worked flawlessly and at the same speed when trimming or tilting. I came down to use it a couple weeks ago and the starboard motor would not move from full up position. If it is a low fluid level, how did it happen all of a sudden....a small leak would lead to a slower tilt first right? or does the seal just go all of a sudden. Please help....my 9 year old wants to fish the Chesapeake for one more time this year while we have some Rockfish to chase!

Comment

And the question begs. How does air get into the system?? Bad seals? Is bleeding the air just a temporary fix, do new seals need to be installed?
              1999 Grady Sailfish SX225 OX66
              1998 Grady Tigercat S200 lightening strike (totalled)

Comment

I hate to bump you on this subject but what type of tilt and trim fluid should be used and how often should this fluid ck be made ?? And I heard that the motor should be stored in the full down position and the trim pistons all the way in. Am I right on this??

Comment

Automatic Transmission Fluid (Dextron III). 100 hours or 1 year. Trim rods all the way in.
                  Last edited by rkmartin; 11-29-2009, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X