Overheat Problem..........Please Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheat Problem..........Please Help

I have a 99 yamaha ox66 200 h.p. Last week i was having problems with the outboard surging at rpm's over 4000. Today i replaced the 2 low pressure fuel pumps and cleaned the VST filter. I put the boat in the water to test her out and thought all was good. Ran her WOT and did not surge. But....... when i was coming back in through no-wake zones the temp alarm came on. The water pump was just replaced in October, and there is a stream of constant flow of water coming out of the "pee hole" at all times. (although it seems like a weak flow to me at idle). What could I be dealing with???? Please help i'm at my whits end!

yamahas are very finicky about water flow.....could be fine, light momentary cavitation/trash blocking ports or could need a new prv and stats..you should change them out every year as general maintenance, with waterpumps.

Comment

Thanks JB123,

When i look at the stats, how will i know if they're shot????? What's the PRV??? is that the "poppet valve?"

Comment

poppit, pressure relief yes and you CAN test them in boiling water, i prefer to not skimp on my powerheads as a little preventative maintenance goes a long way.

Comment

I agree completely. Is there anything else that could cause the overheating if there is waterflow????

Comment

sure, clogged water intake, water tube and water jackets but the usual suspects are waterpump, stats and prv.
            and why wits end...it happened once, will probably be fine next time you run it.

Comment

Working...
            X