Yamaha ox66 sx200 oil reservoir leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha ox66 sx200 oil reservoir leak

Plastic reservoir tank has the infeed tube broken off at its' male fitting. 2nd time this has happened. I've had 2 power heads replaced under warranty and suspected oil interuption but was told by mechanic that it wasn't possible. I discovered problem at a ramp on both occasions because a thin film oil slick formed around the lower unit. Trying to get Yamaha's attention to this matter before I lose a 3rd power head. Apparently, either a casting rib on the motor block sticks out too far or there is a flaw in the plastic molds of the oil reservoir. When properly bolted up it stresses the male fitting and work hardens it unil breakage. You can not add spacers to relieve stress since the mounting of the oil reservoir is not flat (2D) but formed around the block (3D) - if you add spacers to a given bolt the next bolt hole locations wil not line up.

Anybody else evere see this one? There is no active Yamaha Service Bulletin.
    VC

what year is your block ?? my 00's line up correctly.
    do you have the factory oil line with the bend ?

Comment

2001. I just learned the mechanic did not put the elbow back on but instead ran a 5/16" fuel line directly onto the male fitting. The OD of the fuel line (now oil line) deflects off the sideframe casting and this is apparently my problem. I'm going back to the guy that oversaw the whole thing to let him know how I feel about his attention to detail. Thanks for your reply.
      VC

Comment

the real question is why didnt the low oil sensor go off and slow motor.

Comment

Caught it early last 2 times and it never drained out. When the feed tube got disconnected oil drained onto the lower section of the cover and dripped out of openings such as the exhaust ports. When idling an oil "sheen" formed around the lower unit alerting me to a problem. I then took the boat out of the water to investigate.
          VC

Comment

Working...
          X