'86 Yam 115 trim unit, general service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '86 Yam 115 trim unit, general service

I have what appears to be a 1986 Yamaha 115 that came with a classic Whaler I just bought (OK, an old, beat up, classic Whaler!)

Numbers: 115ETLJ 6E5 L 357836.

The trim unit is completely missing, and I'd like to try to find a used unit. Any suggestions other than craigslist and ebay, which I've been looking at? Can I run the motor for a while without it? What about reverse gear? Will the motor just float back when I put it in reverse? Is there a temporary fix for this?

I've ordered a service manual, and plan on changing the lower unit oil, the impeller, and cleaning the carbs. What else should I do?

Before taking it off the transom to work on the hull, I ran it using a garden hose attachment. Ran it for four minutes or so, and it stalled, after which, when I turned the key to ON (not start) the buzzer went off, so I didn't want to start it again and mess anything up.

As soon as it started, I got a good stream of water from the telltale beneath the powerhead.

Any advice or suggestions, directions to other resources would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi Dan,

Without the trim unit, It will probably slam down on the transom if reverse lift it up. I would be very careful with reverse.

As far as the buzzer, was there oil in the tank? If very low it will set off the buzzer/horn. Over heat will set if off as well. Did you have the multifunction gauge hooked up? It shows oil level.

I would replace the water pump regardless if there is a water stream. I do it every other season.

Ebay is great resource, I got a complete power trim for $60.... It did work but needs new seals and valves. All I really wanted was the motor which was fine.

Jon

Comment

Thanks, Jon! I've been looking on ebay for quite a while, and craigslist. A friend gave me some phone numbers of boat "boneyards" I'll try, too.

Comment

looking for more replies to my questions

Comment

Working...
        X