New to me 2001 40 hp 4 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me 2001 40 hp 4 stroke

I just bought a 13 Whaler with a 40 hp 4 stroke which has a running problem. It seem to be running on only 2 cylinders,it is getting spark to all three but it looks like the bottom carb is clogged. It is an extremely low hour motor, having come off of a large yacht as a seldom used tender, I am wondering if just sitting unused will have this effect? It will not idle at all and only will run at 3/4 throttle and above. What is the recommended fix without taking it to a dealer? I have the skills and tools, but have never spent much time working on outboards, but plenty of time working on everything between BMW to Volvo.

Sitting up for long periods without taking proper storage steps will cause the carbs to become plugged up from varnished gasoline. The carbs need to be removed and cleaned. A service manual and carb kit is recommended.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Enjoy your Whaler! I'm here for the same reason... will be posting about my V115... bought a Whaler with a motor that's been sitting a while. Once you get the motor going, if you have questions about your Whaler, a great resource is whalercentral.com

See you out there!

Comment

you will need a flow meter to syncronize the carbs also this must be done in the water with the motor running after you clean them and reinstall.

Comment

Working...
        X