Yamaha 90 problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 90 problem

I have an 03 90 horse 2 stroke and every time I use it it will run great for about an hour or so and then it looses power, If I keep it running it will only run very slow. If I turn it off for about five minutes it will start and run good again for maybe 15 minutes to 30 minutes and then do the same thing. I have taken it in for service and the first visit they told me to add a water seperator which I did. same problem occurs. Took it to another dealer and they say they cant find anything wrong. They suggested maybe its an overheat sensor problem? The water indicated is working fine all the time. Can anybody help??

does your buzzer work correctly, do you have analog gauges and at what rpm does your motor slow to ?

Comment

How can I check the buzzer? It doesnt sound when this happens.. I do have anolog gauges but I didnt check RPM's I'll check it next time it happens. I just got back from taking the boat out and it happened twice today. I turn it off and wait 1 minute and start it up and its back to good running!I dont know how to trouble shoot this problem? Help!

Comment

sounds like an overheat or low oil issue.
        no warnings on the gauge??, you should also fix the buzzer.

Comment

Ray,
          Does sound like over heating. Next time you are out and it does this. Take the cover off, touch the block. It should be fairly warm, not HOT... If it is hot chances are you are close to over heating. Also the water stream should be barely luke warm not HOT. I also have a 90 2 stroke. Had a piece of an old impeller stuck in the water tube. Hard to find. Would run for a while, the the buzzer goes off and RPM reduction mode... Low Oil would do this as well.

Good luck

jon

Comment

Thanks for the info, can you tell me where the buzzer is located? And how to check the oil level? Thanks
            Ray

Comment

ray,

Buzzer is in the shifter (more of a high pitched horn) the oil tank is under the cover of the engine, about a 1 gallon tank. Do you have a manual?

Good luck

Jon

Comment

Working...
              X