Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wire color codes on 2006 25hp 2-stroke & tach pulse setting

have a 2006 25hp, 2-stroke.
    I want to hook up a tach to it to find my wide open rpms.

Currently, I have a teleflex outboard tach, vector series goes up to 8k rpm, and was able to hook it up and get a reading. I connected the tach sender to a yellow wire with red stripe hanging off what I assumed to be the ignition box. This was the only wire that I was able to get a pulse signal off of. There are a few other wires: 2 light green ones, can't remember the others at the moment.

Info I had gotten was green wire for yamaha's was the tach signal wire, but I have 2 of them and neither operated the tach. For mine, it's a yellow wire with red stripe.
    Does anyone know the color codes of wires, specifically for a 25 MSH, manuf. 06/2006?
    First off, I need to know if I can get an accurate rpm measurement off this wire for the tach.

Also, when I got my tach to work I was then left with which pulse setting to use. Teleflex says for 6-pole alternators to use 3 pulse setting. My tach shows the following: 2P(4cyl), 3P(6cyl), 4P(cyl), 5P, 6P.

So I set it to 3P and my slowest idle is 1000 rpms, about 900-950 in gear, and wot is 6800 rpm.
    If I run the tach on 4P the slowest idle is 800 rpm and slightly less in gear, and wot is 5000 rpm. Owner's manual says idle is 750 +/- 50 rpm and wot is 5000-6000 with max power at 5500 rpm.

My dealer checked their service manuals and couldn't find any relevant info. I called yamaha outboard relations and the guy I spoke to said all yamaha's are 6-pole alternators, but he couldn't say anything else and sounded like I just woke him up so I'm not confident in their response.

My prop that came with the outboard is 9 7/8" diam x 11.25" pitch. I tried a comprop that is 4-blade 10x13 and the top speed suffered greatly. I don't have the tach measurements of that run (was before the tach) but I would think if I was over-revving a 1000+ rpms that going up 1.75" of pitch would not drop me down that much rpm, which tends to prove the tach is more correct at a 4P setting.

any help greatly appreciated.
    thanks.

never mind, figured it out

Comment

Working...
    X