300 HPDI help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 HPDI help needed

My motor developed a problem at approx 25 hours.
    At WOT the rpm's will drop to idle, as soon as I let off the throttle and and give it gas it will reach max rpm's then drop off again.
    Dealer's tech did a water test with the computer hooked up to engine. Computer did not show any faults, even though they were able to duplicate the problem.
    All fuel filters are fine, fuel pumps are fine. They have a Yamaha tech coming Wednesday to help them find the problem as the dealer doesn't know what to check next. I'm thinking that because it's not registering any faults, it could be an ECM issue. Any other ideas that I can forward to the dealer to help solve the issue. This will be the second week the boats at the dealer.......

sounds just like a fuel restriction...but im sure the certified techs know what theyre doing.

Comment

Hope it's something simple, the dealer's tech's couldn't find any problems. Wouldn't a fuel flow issue show up on the diagnostics?

Comment

The YDS software will show a drop in fuel pressure if it is hooked up at the time of the occurrance but the motor's ECU computer does not store it as an error if that's all they're looking at. Do you have a Racor filter installed on the boat? Does the fuel primer ball collapse when this bog down is occurring? That would also be a sign of a fuel restriction.

-Mike

Comment

They actually took the laptop out on the water to test it hooked to the motor. it didn't show any faults..
          The boats a 2007 Skeeter, it came with the extra filter installed. They checked all 3 filters, all were good. I didn't check to see if the primer bulb collapsed during the problem, but I did check it back at the dock and it was solid. Could not pump it any more.
          They're working on it right now, hopefully they find the problem.

Comment

check your fuel vacuum,at wot shouldn't be over 5 inchs of vac. check your anti-siphon valve on your gas tank

Comment

I'm waiting to here back froom the tech. Yesterday late afternoon they were taking it back for a water test. Some more interesting info. I had installed brand new spark plugs in an attempt to correct the problem myself, after 2 days of running the boat with no improvement I dropped the boat off at the dealer. When he checked the spark plugs, all 6 had cracks along the lenght of the porcellin?

Comment

They were able to isolate the problem. The high pressure fuel pump is bad. Only problem, Yamaha Canada says they're on back order for at least 2 weeks. Anyone know where I can get one sooner?
                I'm now at 4 weeks down...

Comment

25 hrs and a bad hp fuel pump ?? it theyre run dry, they will burn.

Comment

Not sure what you mean by run dry. If you mean run out of gas, never happened, always try to keep tanks minimum of 1/2 full.

Comment

Working...
                    X