Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat not charging properly

Yamaha OX66 250 Motor 2001
    well since my boat is only showing 12.8 volts at 4700 rpm i thought it my be the Batteries or the cables being corroded or the battery switch. So one by one i Changed out the Battery switch, cleaned all the cable ends and got rid of all wing nuts, Bought two brand new Trojan deep cycle batteries and after all that all i see is 12.8 when running. The voltage might sneak up to13.0 after a long run but the minute i use any electronic equipment it drops back down to 12.8. ANY IDEAS?
    I did have a new brain put on the boat about a month ago, do you think that might have anything to do with it? Do the charging and brain unit even work together????
    The boat voltage shows me 14.2/13.5 for about the first 1/2 hour of running
    after i have charged the batteries on land after about that 1/2 hour though i never see 13+ volts again all day. i only run one battery at a time.
    also when sitting out on the ocean i can check my volts after sitting on a spot for a hour or so and see the battery voltage at 11.6/11.4 volts. This low voltage is when running very little electronic equipment---- Fish finder, bait pump 7amps, music radio, vhf radio, and Gps unit.
    Any help is taken here thanks
    Chris

The voltmeters in boats are not always accurate, it may be reading a little low. The ECU does not control charging voltage, the stator and voltage regulator does. Getting 14 volts at startup and then going back to 13 volts is normal which makes it sound like the alternator is charging.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X