Frozen driveshaft key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen driveshaft key

Hey, was doing the impeller and the driveshaft key is frozen in there....was amazed by the lack of corrosion everywhere and the key and shaft look almost new.....tried pbblaster/heat/heat and ice/mild tapping. Would like to get it out to replace cover gasket....just wondering if anyone has seen this problem. Could do what last guy did and leave it alone, but wanted to see under the cover. Any b.t.d.t stories would be appreciated...sincerely Tom

unless its shot really doesnt need to be replaced..if you want to, use a flat punch and a decent weight hammer and hit it at the top in which will pop it out at the bottom...some are tough.

Comment

lay the shaft down against something solid and bash it hard at one end with a punch ,its called a woodruff key its soft steel so dont be scared once you start to move it out you can also grab it with big set of vice grip just make sure the shaft is supported well you should replace it and also the gasket look for cracks in the top of the pump housing .

Comment

I had to use a 10lb sledge hammer and my biggest flat head screw driver. Just steady the LU when you pound it out. A couple of "GOOD" whacks is what'll take! Once you get it started, it's all downhill from there. Take the plate and the oil seal cover off and inspect your gear shaft seals. Lucky for me, I found a broken spring before it marked/grooved the shaft.

Good luck!

Comment

I was wondering how you made out. I had a similar problem with the key on my 90TLRY. Had to carefully whack it from a multitude of directions to get it out - down on either end, up on either end. Once I got the key to move, I alternated attacks on either end and it finally came out. Getting the new one in required a little coercion with a hammer too.

Did you get it out?

Comment

Working...
          X