Tilt/Trim problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt/Trim problem

My trim operates very slowly, and tilt will only come up if i assist it. Also the bonding wires on the engine and to the anode also get hot, to the point the plastic covering are melting and smoking if i run the motor long enough to tilt to full up. I cannot trim the engine up while underway. The motor runs fine, and i have already replaced the pump assembly, thinking that was the problem. After replacement all worked ok, but then one day, back to this. If the engine is left either in tilt or trim, they don’t leak down, so I want to rule out seals, but i cant help to think that maybe fluid is passing around one of the seals and not allowing enough pressure to build up. On the other hand, maybe the t/t motor has a problem; I’m getting about 2v of electricity through the bonding wires and t/t case only when i operate the motor. The trim solenoids ohm out fine with the right amount of resistance. So I'm thinking that maybe there is a problem with the motor. But the motor just turns the gears in the pump assembly, and should still allow the pressure to build up unless there was a seal problem. No leaks anywhere though. Oh btw, this is driving me nuts!! I have F115TXRA (2002 Outboard). You can see the schematic at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx

I have not yet switched t/t motors from my other engine, not hard just cant get that it might be a seal problem out of my head, but then cant get that it might be a motor problem too... I’m frustrated.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

OH, forgot to mention that my dexrom III fluid is dark, blackish color. Not milky at all, just looks like its burnt maybe.

Comment

try disconnecting the tilt ram under the motor at the pin/circlips etc and lift motor by hand...ensuring it moves freely,making sure its not locked up on the tilt tube....THEN focus on the motor/pump.

Comment

Its not locked up on the tilt tube, the rod raises and lowers fine, with no load on it. The engine doesnt bind in any way, and connected to the tilt rod, it will raise, with assistance. I talked to a local boat mechanic today, he said if the motor runs then it runs, and it shouldn't be that, but somethng is causing the bonding wires to get hot and melt the rubber coating. I checked the ground on the engine, which also connects the wiring harness.. I just dont know where else to troubleshoot to find out why those wires are getting hot... The mech today also said that the trim cylinders may have a bad o ring and will cause the fluid to pass over when its not susposed too, gonna pull the trim rams out tonight and replace the o-rings...

Comment

ok, 1 more update.. pulled the trim rams, everything looked fine, all o rings were fine, replaced them anyway, what the heck.. put them back together, and the motor trimed up to the point tilt would take over, then i had to assist it again to raise up.. (this is after filling it and purging the air 4 or 5 times) So maybe my bad o ring is in the tilt, didnt have any spares, so i'll have to go pick one up tomorrow and try it out.

btw, i used the o ring pliers that are bent at a 45deg angle to go in the holes that the spanner wrench would go in, just a thought in case someone else ever needs to take the rams out

Comment

Follow up. removed tilt ram. had a bad o-ring which started discoloring, and making the fluid black. replaced and now fluid stays red. But, still stalls when it transitions from trim to tilt. Again this is dual ram trim, single ram tilt system. Please help..

Comment

Hello, Check your battery connections you probably have a bad conn. either negative or positive. They may just be dirty or loose.A bad neg. connection will cause this ,the engine searchs for a ground when it can't find a good one at the batt. I,ve seen this melt all the small connector wires as well as control cables.

Comment

Well i switched the motor to the other engine that had no problems... wires there started melting off, so i guess i have a bad motor, ordered a replacement, solves that problem.. ordered new o rings for PTT pump assy, so i'll see if that makes a difference..

Comment

im having the same problem i cant get the nut off the top, the one with 4 holes in it any suggestions

Comment

wound up replacing the pump assembly along with the motor.. not sure why, but workes like a champ now. Didnt see anything wrong with the pump, but replacing the motor and pump for $400 is cheaper than the labor at the dealer to troubleshoot it.

Comment

where did you find the motor/pump for 400.00?
                      are the ram caps reverse or std threads?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X