FUEL/WATER SEPARATOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FUEL/WATER SEPARATOR

I would like to add a Racor fuel water separator to my 2001 Yamaha 130hp. If possible, I would prefer to mount it in the bilge area to keep my decks clear. I think I can see a benifit with the see thru bowl but I understand their are some UL and USCG issues with the plastic. Can someone help with Racors part number for the unit I need based on motor hp, mounting preference, etc. Appreciate the help.

I know that you don't want to here this, but you are asking for trouble if you mount it in the bilge. You will be creating a safty hazzard where none exists. If you must mount it in the bilge, considder using the Yamaha 10 micron, all steel, filter part # MA-FUELF-IL-TR, available for a very good price on this web site.
    Dennis

Comment

Hello,

I have used that type if filter in the past with a V6 merc. It was a standard replacement for a water separator. I had water issues (not related to gas) If I recall this was an approved filter for use in the the bilge. If this Racor is the same one, screw on type filter with a clear bowl that twisted to to the bottom of the filter. It also had a drain on the bottom of the clear bowl. You should be fine, but to be sure check the packaging, and web site for details.

You may also want to consider the new 10 Micron filters which do better job separating water.

Good luck

Jon.

Comment

From what I understand, USCG regs prohibit a plastic see-thru bowl in an enclosed space. You can either use the metal bowl (with drain plug) or mount it in a non-enclosed space. A friend of mine mounted his under the starboard gunnel.

Also, make sure that your engine does not have a built in water separator. If not, you should be OK with a regular Racor. I have a 2nd boat with a Merc 225 Optimax on it that has a separator inside the engine (horrid design) and I was told that if I mounted a normal Racor behind it I would probably encounter fuel starvation caused by the increased fuel restriction. Some suggested upgrading to a Racor with 3/4" fuel line openings, but I didn't want to take the chance. So, when I get a little water in the separator, I have to live with a loud, annoying warning buzzer until I get back to port and can take the cowl off and empty the separator. Truth be told, I am much happier with my Yammie 90 than my Merc 225.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X