wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring question

I'm still trying to work out this volt meter and starting to conclude that it's faulty.
    It's a yamaha voltmeter gauge.
    When I hook it up it pegs out past 16v.
    here's my question.
    If I directly jump this gauge to a battery should it read around 12v?
    Currently it pegs the needle.
    as always thanks for all the info here. Very good resource for sure.
    Thanks,
    BB

Hi, if you hook it directly to a fully charged 12 volt battery it should read between 12 and 14 volts. If it pegs the needel, see if you can adjust it, I am not familiar with that guage, I don't know if you can adjust it. If you cannot adjust it, and it pegs the needle, it's time to replace it.
    Dennis

Comment

That was my thought exactly. Thanks for the reply.
      BB

Comment

This may be filed under "stupid questions", but are you sure the gauge is connected to only one battery? The reason I ask is that sometimes *****ing motors are connected to two batteries in series for a voltage of 24-28 VDC. As a sanity check you could get a hand held multi-meter and check the voltage at the wires to the voltmeter. Also individually check the voltage between both connections to the voltmeter referenced to the chassis of the boat. You may have a problem with stray voltage, and/or your ground connection. The fact that you are getting more deflection on the meter than desired tells me that it is either working but your voltage is too high, or that there is some adjustment of the gauge that you need to perform as earlier indicated.

Good luck.

Bouy

Comment

I do have two batteries but have them hooked up seperately on a battery switch. seperate positives with a negative jumper. I even touched the contacts of the gague on a spare battery, pegged over 16v. I'm pretty sure it's a defective gauge.
          Thanks for the input.. I see what you are saying with the inline batteries.
          BB

Comment

Working...
          X