F40 TLRZ Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F40 TLRZ Problems

My 2001 F40 originally would only get on a plane for a few seconds. Symptoms suggested the top carb was flooding out. Through a series of tests I concluded the float was the problem. I was shocked at the prices for kits and opted to just replace the the float valve. I bought the manual and got stuck on float adjustment. It says to bend the tab but its all plastic.

What bends? I'm afraid I will break it. The manual says to measure to the float flange. Is this the carb metal bowl flange? Or is it the seam around the center of the plastic float? The picture shows the top of the plastic float. And I still have the problem that nothing bends!!

The dealer here wants $12.00 EACH for o-rings. Is there an alternative? Also, no one will sell the special tools. I'd like to sync the carbs when done. Will any vacuum gauge work? Are the ports 5 or 6 mm? I wanted to do some electric diagnostics with my digital multimeter but the book says I need a peak voltage adapter. Where do you get this if Yamaha won't sell it?

Please help...

Bob

I don't try to bend the tabs on the floats, sometimes if you get thats too high or low you can move it to another carb and it will be even. I just try to get the floats about level with carb and they work ok. Not sure which oring you are needing but you can get the bowl gasket 65W-14984-00-00 here on boats.net for $5.72. The sycn meter that we get from Yamaha runs about $800.00. Snap-On tools or other tool company may have something cheaper that will work.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X