Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever welded small crack in L.U. near Prop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever welded small crack in L.U. near Prop?

Hey, just came in and noticed a crack in the lower unit near prop that wasn't there yesterday...haven't even pulled the prop yet, but there is a lower unit on ebay with a weld in the exact same place/side and figured it's happened to more than one.....plan to dissasemble in morning and see what's going on, but just wondering if anyone's btdt and has any info....sincerely Tom

I had the same problem a year or so ago and had a small plate welded over the crack. Everything has been fine but have noticed a small(?) rattling noise coming from the LU when in gear at low RPMs.....Still looking for some feedback on that as well. Other than metal fatique the mech. said that if the motor is left up and water freezes between the prop. and LU, than a split could develop.

Comment

Hi. Funny that I happened to read this forum tonight for the first time in 2 months. I just welded one of my V4 lower units. It had so heavy corrosion between the bearing carrier's nut and the housing that the housing had cracked on both sides. I pulled out the carrier to be able to weld on the inside also. That way there will be no root defects in the weld. (Sorry about my English?). You might want to pull out the carrier also because heat deformations might make it really hard to get it out later on if you need to. But opening the unit throws in all the dirt and metal -> a lot of work. Your big problem can be the threads of the housing but maybe not if there is only a small crack, little corrosion. If you can not undo the big nut because of corrosion don't force it. The housing will crack more. Just drill the nut in many pieces with a drill.

If you don't feel like fixing the housing I'll buy it. Let me know. And if anyone has an extra 20 inch drive shaft please let me know.

Also thanks to boats.net for the lower unit seals that you sent today.

Comment

Thanks again for the replies.....got the unit off tonight and plan to remove the carrier and have it welded tomorrow....thanks again...tom

Comment

Working...
        X