1999 200 ox66 stalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 200 ox66 stalls

I had the fuel pump replaced last year and motor ran fine. This fishing season we got 10 miles out and the engine died abrubtly. This is very similiar to what it did before replacing fuel pump. It started easily but would only run 1/4 mile and stall again. Because the dealership is so backlogged with work (4-6 weeks) I decided to replace the fuel relay switch to see if that was the problem. Engine still runs several minutes and dies like you turned off the ignition switch. Fuel system, fuel filters have been change and no water found. Is it common to have fuel pump failures so frequently? Did I forget to check something?

check ball when it occurs.

run on an auxillary tank with fresh gas to rule out the tank.

is your motor efi ? i thought they came in at '00..... then check low pressure pumps then the hi pressure filter.

Comment

That is simular to the problem I am having with a rebuilt 35hp outboard. Did you mean after you replace the fuel pump it ran good for a solid season. If so it sounds like something is affecting your fuel pump over time. Anyway, I guess that is what I am going to do is replace my fuel pump. This is what I just got finished posting:

35hp outboard starts to die at full throttle only. It seems like when I run with the throttle in the 90% position there is no problems. When I run at a 100%after a while of running it dies. This is a rebuilt 35hp 1984 model outboard. This is very difficult to troubleshoot. I did not replace the reed valves or the fue pump on rebuild. The motor cranks first time cold with just a slight choke time and at 90% throttle runs like a sewing machine. New fuel tank and fuel lines. I really think it has something to do with the fuel pump not keeping up at the 100% RPM rate. When it dies it does seem to start to run rough a little.
      I think I can pull the throttle back if I catch it in time and it will recover and I can run at 80% then but I cant prove that. The problem is too intermittent to make that kind of analysist. Also the first time is did that I was not sure what to do to get back to dock so I just kept hittling the little choke switch beneath the keys and it would smooth out for a short while and then I would have to hit it again and simply keep repeating that all the way back to the dock. It seems now I just do not run at 100% but I want to fix the problem. I am sure I am not giving enough detail here, but if any tech or anyone has any suggestion I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X