1997 yamaha 250 RPM variation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 yamaha 250 RPM variation

The motor runs great above 3500 rpm and below 2500 rpm. But when i try to run at 2800 to 3000 rpms it just keeps surging from about 2500 to 3500. I have cleaned the vst filter, replaced the o2 sensor and changed the racor filter and the filter in the motor. I have also drained all of the gas from the tank and put new gas. I use ringfree. Please help. Thank you.

Bluefin,
    I'm not a mechanic or tech, just a 1998 250hp outboard owner with a similiar problem. After doing the same things you described in your post I determined I was having a cavitaion problem. A friend with the same motors as mine started experiencing the same problem after he changed the cup in his prop. My problem still exists because I haven't determined what's causing the cavitaion. Since hearing of my friends problem recently I'm going to change props and see if that changes anything. Good luck.

Comment

I spoke with my mechanic today and he told me it might be the throttle postion sensor and suggested I change that out. I don't think it is a cavation problem as I have the same prop and haven't changed anything under the boat. Although, I did have that cavation problem when I went to the stainless steel prop (the shiney one) so I swithed back to the black stainless steel prop and that solved that problem. This is definately not a cavation problem - but thanks for the input.

Comment

Please keep me informed. The throttle position sensor wss never suggested to me. I'd like to know if it solves your problem.

Comment

Bluefin,
          Did you try changing the throttle position sensor? I'd like to know if that's an option for me.

Comment

I changed the tps. The motor runs better, but I still have a rpm variation when I try to run at 2800 to 3000 rpm. I don't know what to try next.

Comment

for chance...did you test the low pressure pumps?

Comment

How do I go about doing that.

Comment

Working...
                X