115 TLRA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115 TLRA

I have a 115 TLRA it has been sitting in my garage for a year or so. I took it out today and it started great and runs fine until I take the throttle all the way. It runs about 10 mph slower then it use it to. After a while at high speed it was surging, it wanted to take off and it did but it bogged down again. It kept doing this about every couple of minutes. When I hit the throttle hard it sounds like it is bogging down. Any help is appreciated.

clean them carbs...

Comment

What do you think is a reasoable price to pay a dealer for this?

Comment

if youre handy and have a few tools you can do it in an hour or 2.
        I would GUESS a dealer would charge about 2-300 bucks....avg $75 p.h. plus run time?

Comment

I remember years and years ago working on rebuilidng a carb I had parts left over after I was done. Plus I really do not have the time. Since it has been sitting so long anything else I should have looked at while it is in the shop?
          There are a number of shops around (3) one is a so called "certified" Yamaha. Does it really mean anything if it is certified?

Comment

Hi Steve,

Allow me to say a few words. Will all due respect to a Yamaha dealers being "certified" this does not mean too much if you are looking repair an older engine. Most dealers today focus on 4 strokes, because that is what they sell. If you have an older 2 stroke make sure that the have they has a technician with very intimate knowledge with your system.

Before having the dealer do this work would it be possible to run a high concentration of Seafoam through it. I do this every year and seem avoid problems, I run an entire can with 5-6 gallons of gas.

As far as taking the carbs apart are concerned, I have taken a few smaller ones apart and rebuilt them with great success. On the 115 this will be a bit more complex. I have a 90HP (three carbs in line, also a bit complicated)

I am looking for a used set on ebay to fool with before attempting a rebuild. Engine is running fine now. So if screw up the spare, no harm no foul...

Good luck

jon

Comment

It is a 2002 motor. I think I will try to run this Seafoam product through the engine before I spend 2 or 3 hundred dollars. I have a 30 gallon tank. Where can you buy this stuff? I appreciate the thought.

Comment

never heard of seafoam where do ya get it and will it work????

Comment

I checked it out on the web, and you can get it at any auto parts store. Almost sounds to good to be true. The questions is will it clean my carburetors to the point where I will not have to take it in to the dealer.

Comment

Yes I get it from auto supply, about $8 per can. Also another product called Chemtool offered at walmart. I have been using Seafoam for years. Seems to work, keeps the engine and carbs clean, and no damage to plastic parts. Usually I do high concentration (early season, like now) then at later in the season I run and entire can through my 28 gallon tank.

Good luck

jon

Comment

steve clean the carbs its very easy there are jets in the bottom of the float case that get clogged very easy its not that hard just time consuming i did it in about 3 hours and the jets where totaly clogged

Comment

I popped the top on the engine to take a look. And I got to tell you it looked pretty intimidating to me. I cannot even get to the carbs without taking a bunch of stuff off first. I also have a kicker motor on the side which makes access on the right side of the motor almost impossible. I am not sure.....

Comment

Working...
                        X