Pilot Screw Plug Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot Screw Plug Removal

Recently bought a 2004 50HP 2 stroke (Model # 50TLRC) on eBay. Motor has obviously been sitting for a long time. It runs fine at WOT, but is hard to start and idles poorly.

I have changed the plugs which helped a little, but not much. I am assuming that the carbs are gummed up and I have a rebuild kit and diaphragms for the fuel pump ordered.

The carb kits contain replacement pilot screws. The carbs on this motor also have brass plugs preventing access to the pilot screws. Anyone know an easy way to get these plugs out? The only way I can see to do it is to drill them out, which I would prefer not to do if it's not absolutely necessary.

Alternatively, once the carbs are disassembled, can the pilot screws and seats be cleaned by spraying carb cleaner into the passages from inside the carbs without removing the pilot screws?

Those pilot screws are plugged as per EPA regulations. You would need to talk to your local dealer on information about the plugs.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Will soaking the top plate in parts cleaner clean the pilot screw and seat without removing the plugs and screws?

Comment

Probably, normally they do not plug up since they are above the fuel level in carb.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Your 50's plugs are the same plugs as my 04 90hp two stroke, and they are easy to remove. The plugs are simply a stamped thin sheet metal part sort of shaped like a cereal bowl or dog dish.

I removed mine by drilling a small hole into the plug. Be careful to only break thru the wall and do not jam the drill bit into the pilot screw. Next, take a small sheet metal screw and turn it into the drilled hole (just a thread or so is enough). Then, use a pliers or Visegrip to pull on the screw. The plug will come right out.

Also, before you remove them, record the number of turns from full closed so you will be able to get back to stock settings.

Btw, I was able to improve my 90's idling by adjusting the pilot screws. And, I can now easily give the screws an extra 1/4 turn in cold weather or when idling it in the driveway.

Hope this helps and good luck with it.

[ May 23, 2007, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Bazooka Joe ]

Comment

Drill small hole in middle of cap and pry out....only way I could get the 130 to run right...got 25% better mileage after earballing the screw..turned mine 1/2 turns.....prime example of bad legislation.....set by factory(or not set by factory)....was polluting and destroying motor.....rip it out....adios tom

Comment

Sorry I meant to say 1-1/2 turns........which to a carburetor is huge....

Comment

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                X