2005 50hp fuel problems again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 50hp fuel problems again

I am at wits end and am looking for help.
    I have a 2005 50hp TLRD yamaha with about 30 hours on it. It has been in the shop 4 times for fuel related problems.

The first two times, the yamaha authorized dealer was not able to duplicate the issue. It was running rough.

The thrid time (last year) the engine would bog down and die. The dealer cleaned everything fuel related and installed a yamaha 10 micron filter. rebuilt the carbs and billed me 900 dollars for it. (under warranty)

Now the problem is back. It idles fine and in gear at an idle it is fine. When I give it some gas, it just bogs down and dies.

The filter was replaced, the fuel was inspected. The engine filter was inspected and cleaned. The plugs were replaced. The problem still persists.

I am curious if any other yamaha owners have had the same problem.

This is getting ridiculous and I am about to go to war with Yamaha first thing tomorrow morning, as well as find a new yamaha dealer to take my repair to.

Any suggestions or opinions?

It must not get used much if only has 30 hours on it. The fuel will go bad if sits for long period of time. The gas in carbs will turn to a varnish and plug up jets and fuel passages. The best way of prevent repeated carb repairs is to use fuel stabilizer in gas and to take sotage steps, it's easier if you get the dealer to show you storage steps rather than go by the owners manual. The climate does have a factor in the fuel breaking down so your local dealer has a better idea of what works in your region.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I got the boat back from the dealer on saturday.
      They cleaned the carbs twice replaced all the filters and adjusted the timing.

The engine would bog down for a split second then run great. BUT within two hours, the engine was back to running horrible with the same symptoms

It is heading back to the shop again soon.

A brand new tank and brand new gas was used.

I am so frustrated. I should have bought an etec.

Comment

I had a similar problem on a 2006- 50 -2 stroke in a NEW Boat.

The Problem was the Anti Siphon Valve in the fuel tank---Sticking.

Solution Remove Completely or Replace.

It is hard to locate. Just look where the fuel line comes out of the tank and disassemble the fittings. You should be able to punch the ball and spring out, and then reassemble.

Hope this helps.....

Comment

I have replaced the fuel tank and the fuel lines.
          Yamaha blamed the 6 gallon tank as well and I replaced it. Same problem existed.

Yamaha has been horrible for me. They will admit to nothing and while the symptoms point to the fuel, it is not. Nothing they do fixes the issue

Comment

I would make sure that the fuel tank does Not have an Anti-Siphon Valve regardless.

Comment

also, do you have a fuel quick disconnect at tank or motor?? all breaks in fuel line should be looked at or eliminated if possible.

Comment

.Yes to the above post ....and......I don't mean to harp on this subject but....with my problem I purchased a new Yamaha bulb and hose assembly thinking it would be GOOD. It turned out to be a piece of CRAP. Leaked at the bulb,and where the bulb connects to to the hose connector.

I re-clamped everything(stainless steel worm),(lousy factory clamps) used a different bulb and wholla all OK.

You could be sucking air through the filter or the hoses etc.And it won't leak fuel.

Is the bulb HARD when you first start??

Please let everyone know what fixes your problem.

Comment

On saturday, the dealer also stated that the timing was off by 30 degrees. He did not say in what direction, but either way, that can not be good.

The had to order carb gaskets and I am still out of commision.

The symptoms point towards gas, but how can the engine go from running well to horrible in less than a gallon of gas.

Brand new gas, brand new tank, brand new filters and a ultrasonicaly cleaned carbs (twice)???

I filed a complaint with consumer affairs and will be heading down to small claims court for the value of the engine.

Comment

Well,
                    Dealer called and said they have it 100% fixed.
                    Ran the boat for less than one hour and the problem started again.

3 miles from the dock, with a low idle in gear was all I could muster.

The boat is back to the dealer and they still blame the gas!

Something is not right.

Comment

Yet another update.

Yamaha has authorized 3 brand new carbs for the engine. They shipped two and said the 3rd is on back order until Aug 23rd.

I have located multiple carbs, including one from boats.net but as of now, yamaha will not authorize a carb from them because they can not guarantee the authenticity of the carb.

They will also not install 2 carbs without the third because it may cause one carb to run lean and burn out a cylinder. I am so disgruntled.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am open for them.

Comment

Did you get your problem solved yet ???

Comment

Working...
                        X