115HP Idle Reduction Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115HP Idle Reduction Problem

I have a 1995 Yahama 115 HP motor that periodically reduces RPMs from 4,500 to 2,500 max. No time frame from running time, when this happens. Not overheating (the water pump and thermostats were replaced), checked the main fuse and tightened. Made certain it had good fuel, properly vented. Battery connections all checked out good. The engine runs well at 2,500 RPMs and compression checked out good. But once the motor slows, we cannot get over 2,500 RPMs. Any suggestions?

try an auxillary tank,different hose with no breaks with fresh gas then post your results.

Comment

I have three tanks. We switched tanks with no difference. I checked the hose and there is no dry rotting or cracking.

Comment

are you still using the factory quick disconnect at motor???

Comment

does your buzzer work and are you sure its not going into rpm reduction at 2k rpms?

Comment

We ARE still using the factory disconnect at the motor. I haven't heard a buzzer and not sure what it is or if it is even connected. Our problem may be that it's going into RPM reduction, but what is that and what causes that.
            (if I forget to thank you later, Thanks for your input so far)

Comment

every break in your fuel line can cause you issues in fuel delivery,SPECIALLY a 12 yr old junction... thats why i suggest to use an alt tank and another ball/line to rule out the tank side.

if it is stopping at 2k rpms and your buzzer doesnt work AND using analog gauges then it could be low oil/sensor issue or an overheat issue/bad sensor.

Comment

The engine runs smooth when the idle is reduced, so we don't feel it's fuel related. I'm no mechanic, but my brother-in-law is and he feels you may be on to something with the sensor theory. My engine has it's oil injector by-passed prior to purchasing it. I pre-mix the oil in the fuel.
                Any thoughts on how the wiring might be affected with the injector bypass? We think the wiring might have a connection that makes the main board think the oil is low, but we don't know what wires to check into. Schematics in the Yahama manual are not color coded and tough to read.

Comment

Question: On the back of my 115HP motor, there are two square exhaust ports. Under normal running, should there be water coming out of these ports?

Comment

Working...
                  X