Sunk 90hp won't idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunk 90hp won't idle

I have a 04' 90hp two stroke that went underwater this winter (long story). Anyway the mechanic said it was not 100% submerged. He cleaned out the carbs,fogged out motor, sprayed down with wd-40. The motor was running within a few hours.

Now when I start it cold it takes a long time to get it going. Also it stalls at idle.

I'm wondering if the cold start electronics were damaged.How can I tell if ti works???

Hi Matt,

I have a 90 as well (older) and I have engines that have gone under. Could be electrical or fuel. If it went under, are you sure the entire fuel system was cleaned out? Also If it does run, (and your mechanic cleared you to run it) let it run a while, and let it get hot, perhaps any residual moisture in the electronics components will evaporate.

Good luck
    jon

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I have about 4 hours on it since.I drained the carbs again yeasterday. Once it's warm it runs fine until you slow down to idle. Also I turned the emergency start screw to get it started yeaterday and that seemed to help.

Before I start replacing parts I want to make sure they are bad.

Comment

most likely still fuel delivery issue ALSO i would run xtra oil to ensure bearing lubrication.

Comment

I spoke to my mechanic and said first thing to do is try new plugs. Well that did not help. I also put on a new Racor fuel filter. No luck either on that. I also tried to raise the idle scew on the linkage stop and that did not help???? I'm still not clear what the black box on the starboard side does in reguards to the choke and cold start idle?

Comment

if your boat went down, did you also completely drain your gas tank?
            with airbox off, try using a spray bottle of gas to enrich the mix at startup to see if that is your issue or you could manually choke carb throats.

Comment

Ok I think I figured this out!!! This part #33 on the side of the carb http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...OR/index.html#

The sensor shows some corrosion so I'm guessing this is causeing some problem. I'm not sure what it does but it is a 96$ part so how can I tell if it is faulty?

I run 6gal tanks they have been changed.I did not try to spray gas in because I felt it is an electrical problem with this auto-choke system.

Comment

Still not running right!!!!! I checked the Auto choke thing and it is supposed to warm up according to the mechanic, and it does. So I'm back to square one it seems.....Any help out there i've done everything I can think of and that was suggested. HELP

Comment

Have the carbs been removed and cleaned, or just drained ? It sure sounds like you still have some crud in the jets.

Jeff

Comment

No I just drained the bowls down.

I'm still leaning toward the electrical angle. But i'm not sure where to begin. I know only the front half of the motor was submerged and it was tilted up at the time

Comment

you asked for help and we suggested you clean your fuel syatem.

Comment

I agree with JB, this looks like fuel thing. perhaps a fuel pump replacement, not expensive... It sounds like fuel delivery to me... 30+ years of experience with 2 strokes... Several sinkings... Your engine runs, it clogged somewhere....

Jon

Comment

JB123 Let's start out with the fact I responded to your suggestions, so simmer down. The motor was run a long time after it went down and ran fine at first. NEW Fuel diffent tank, different filter,carbs sprayed, carbs drained.

This motor has an ELECTRIC CHOKE SYSTEM SALTWATER&ELECTRIC DON'T MIX

If the motor was giving me any problems before it sank then I might think fuel.

The question I'm asking is HOW DO I TEST THE ELECTRIC CHOKE SYSTEM. I've eliminated the other suggestions.

JB123 if you can't help me with that question please refrain from any more "help".

Comment

The main reason it sounds like the slow speed section of the fuel system to me is something you yourself stated " Once it's warm it runs fine until you slow down to idle ". If the front of the engine went down, the carbs where in the water. The only effective way to clean a carb after this happens is to remove, disassemble and inspect. If this hasn't been done yet, then you may be wasting your time and money.

Good luck, Jeff

Comment

The motor use to start on the second try with out any throttle. Now I have to turn the red emercency screw in the front of the carb to get it to start. To clarify my quote is that it runs fine at higher speed but will not idle warm or cold.

Sorry I got testy on the last post.But nobody seems to have the same engine with this electric choke system. I'm not going to rebuild the carbs until I eliminate the electrical possiblity. If I can find if there is not problems there then a rebuild is the next step.

P.S my last motor on this boat went for a swim as well it was a 94' c85 and the carbs are totally different. The recovery process was the same as you all have described and was very straight forward.

Comment

Working...
                              X