X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 199? ProV 150 - Starter Problem

Greetings!

I am glad to have found you folks.

Hopefully someone will be willing and able to offer some guidance on what appears to be a starter issue.

Engine is a 199? Yamaha ProV 150. It was fine until last weekend, now it will start occasionally, but just clicks most of the time. If I have the key in the on position, it starts easily with a rope.

I have been able to rotate the starter with a screwdriver and find a spot where the starter will engage, but this is hit and miss…

The battery has been freshly charged and there is lots of power, I have removed, cleaned and reattached all leads with dielectric grease…

Any thoughts?

Is there an easy home fix for this? What can I expect if I take it in for service? If it was a vehicle I know damn well they would go straight for a new starter motor…

Thanks!

check cables near the ends, be sure there not stiff ..with corrosion, then could be a weak spring under gear, lastly bad brushes or armature.

try bypassing all else,,,,unhook brown wire at relay and jump to a hot ON the relay...same issue? to do this i THINK the 10 pin needs to be disconnected.

Comment

Thanks,

Cable seems supple - no corrosion.

Not sure where relay and 10 pin connector are??

Tried jumpers to the largest 2 connections on the starter - no result.

It will crank every time if I give a gentle tap with the hammer on the starter housing though...

Comment

My suggestion would be to remove the starter and lay it horizontal to see if it will spin. If it spins freely in a horizontal position, you have bearing problems, or it needs to be taken apart and cleaned... However, it appears you will need a new starter...

Comment

Working...
        X