150 hp Yamaha won't idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 hp Yamaha won't idle

My engine won't idle. With the choke on it will idle perfectly. when I shut the choke off, the engine revs up, then idles for about 10 seconds and stalls. It runs great at all speeds but idle. The carbs were rebuilt last year by the guy I bought it from. I adjusted the carbs according to the manual, I have good spark and compression. I adjusted the oil pump according to the manual and my fuel is new and has no water in it. My spark plugs are also new. If anyone could help me I would be very greatful. Thank you in advance.
    Gerry Vigneux

If it runs with choke on then carbs need to be cleaned.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

First of all, thank you for the reply. I cleaned the carbs with carb cleaner. They are so clean that they look like new. Like I said, they were rebuilt last year. That did not work. I took apart the fuel pumps and the bottom one was full of gas but the top one was bone dry. All the internal parts of the pump looked fine but when I took it off, the hose nipple broke, so I ordered a new pump. Could this be the idle problem? Why would it run good at higher r.p.m. if the pump was'nt working? Thank you again for the help.
      Gerry Vigneux

Comment

Working...
      X