Sluggish Starting Yamaha 50HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sluggish Starting Yamaha 50HP

My Yamaha (1989 PRO 50LF) is hard to crank in that it mimics a dead battery when the battery is known to be good and fully charged. Engine turns over very slow/sluggish. Then a moment later it spins normal and cranks. My battery terminals are clean and connectors at battery have been replaced. Where/what else should I look at for this problem?

Thanks,

brushes in starter?
    feel the leads and lines after turning over, feeling for heat/bad cables.

Comment

Lesson Learned. I took my boat back to the dealer and in less than 2 hours he calls me to tell me my boat was ready for pickup. Problem fixed.

Problem: significant water in my oil. Apparently rain water getting in through the gap. Sufficient oil was not being delivered resulting in sluggish start up and shutting down during operators. I've very lucky that something did not sieze up.

Thanks

Comment

I read your post and I think I have the same problem, how they fixed yours.
        Last weekend didn’t crank the flying wheel move about one inch at the time when I turn the ignition switch. I have two brand new 1000 crank marine batteries; I rebuild the starter, but same problem. Then I realized that is extremely hard to move the flying wheel by hand. I haven’t run that engine for only two month , but I have notice before that longer I don’t use it the hard it is to crank it, I use to blame the batteries charge, now I realized that engine get kind of stuck. Last night a remove the spark plug and put WD40 on the cylinder and loose it so much that I was able to move the flying wheel by hand, but the fallowing day it went back to the same stiffness. Don’t know to do…it could something on the gas that have the cylinders gummy or sluggish?
        Oscar
        doming9@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
        X