Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power at ignition but not at starter cylenoid - Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power at ignition but not at starter cylenoid - Any suggestions?

89 200 yammie

Power coming out of ignition switch when attempting to start motor.

Power all the way to the point the ignition wire goes into a solid sheathed cable that goes back to motor. This cable runs through the boat and into the left side of the motor if looking at it from the front.

I have no power going to the wire on the right side of the motor which is soldered to the starter cylenoid. There is also a butt connector which is not getting power from the feed side so it is not at this connection.

There is hot going to the cylenoid and if you jump the wires, it will attempt to start.

From this information, I assume the cylenoid is not the problem but the wire itself. Does the ignition wire go directly from the switch to the cylenoid or does it run through something else.

I also have both gauges disconnected from the boat because I am replacing the panel. I don't think this will affect it since there is power going out.

Can someone shed some light on this for me?

check the neutral stop switch.
    also, look for a brown wire at the solenoid, disconnect 10 pin harness, touch the male brown to the hot at solenoid, motor should start, or at least turn over normally.

Comment

Thanks.

Where is the 10 pin harness? And where is the neutral stop switch. I don't have my repair manual on me.

I will try to jump the hot to the brown wire and see what happens. I assume if attempts to start, there is a break in the wire or it is a bad wire? I also assume if it doesn't, the solenoid is bad?????

Comment

Where is the 10 pin harness? And where is the neutral stop switch.

I don't have access to my repair.

I will try to jump the hot to the brown wire and see what happens. I assume if attempts to start, there is a break in the wire or it is a bad wire? I also assume if it doesn't, the solenoid is bad????

Comment

Fixed it. Neutral stop switch.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X