1990 85hp good start/idle - no run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 85hp good start/idle - no run

New to boating - pick up a "father-in-law" boat – the boat had not been in the water for close to 2 years.
    Don't know if it could possibly make a difference, but my son and I re-carpeted the boat requiring moving all the controls and putting them back.
    First it wouldn’t start (another thread) I then cleaned the carbs – no kit, I have one ordered. The motor will start easy and rev via the fast idle level without missing a beat. However, we put it in the water today and initially could not get the motor to run with any speed - increasing the motion forward or backwards with the level caused it to die past moving very slowly. At one point I did get it going (after missing with the trim – once again not sure of that is relevant). It seem to run fine however a couple of times the engine would surge, increasing it’s speed, without any movement from the lever. When I got back close to the dock I decreased the speed and disengaged the drive and when I tried to get it back up to speed it kept dying again. Had to pull the boat up on the trailer. Any help you can offer this newbie would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Duane

Probably still has jets or passages pluged up in carbs assuming the compression is ok.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X