CV85ELD questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV85ELD questions

50+ years and never owned a boat. Recently the recipient of a “father-in-law” boat which my son and I have just finished re-carpeting and now I have a few questions regarding the Yamaha outboard that is on this boat.

I’ve tried to order a service manual through Yamaha, but they are “out of stock” – funny thing is that though dealer support web-site they allow a dealer to download it [img]smile.gif[/img]

The boat has probably not been fired up for 12-18 months however when we popped the cover off everything, including the carburetors (3) looks very clean. The engine however won’t run. I squirt a bit of carburetor cleaner into them and manually moved any moving parts and the engine fired, but didn’t run (probably the carb cleaner burning).

The gas feed looks relatively simple – into a bulb-type filter (which we emptied and cleaned out) – then into a device I’m assuming is a fuel pump – then to the carburetors.

I’m not skeered (southern for scared) to take apart the carburetors as I’ve done so with many a lawn mower and even a few old autos, but I’m not sure the problem is not in the device that I’m assuming is a fuel pump. Is that a replace only item or can I get a kit to rebuild it? Sure would like to go fishing this weekend.

Any tips you “old timers” (I mean you folks that have a lot of experience with 2-cycle outboards) can offer me I’d sure appreciate it. Often there are things you might do every year at the start of the season that could help me get this motor running in tip-top shape.

Thanks
    Duane

I would suggest replacing the fuel pumps,you CAN rebuild for about the same price.
    if the carbs sat up for a COUPLE months they need cleanin and theyre not difficult to do, you MAY want to get the rebuild kit and use a good carb cleaner when doing them, i usually use a can of spray for each.
    changeout the plugs and if you have a fuel line fitting at the motor, personally i would rid of it and run new line from water seperator directly to the motor filter.

Comment

Working...
    X