50TLRC Lower Unit Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50TLRC Lower Unit Noise

I have a 2004 Yamaha 50TLRC with very few hours. At idle, in gear (forward and reverse), the lower unit makes a noise that resembles a bad bearing. Out of gear there is no noise. If the motor is trimmed up (at idle) but the prop is still in the water, the noise goes away. if the motor is lowered all the way down, the noise is very prevelant at idle. The noise disappears with a little more fuel and a little higher RPM. I have checked the prop shaft end play, and it's not bad. I've checked the lower unit lube, it's fine with no shavings (yet). Any ideas would be helpful... thanks in advance

Sometimes you can get a drive shaft noise if using a heavy prop like a big diameter SS prop at idle. Try a aluminum prop to see noise goes away, if does then lower unit is probably ok.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

muchos gracias. I did put a Stainless prop on it a while back, but didn't think the prop would make it growl at me. I guess I didn't put two and two together. I gave my aluminum prop to a buddy - so I guess I'll pick up another as a spare... Thanks... as soon as I get the prop - I'll let you know more... 'preciate the info... JIMP

Comment

Working...
      X