X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2000 fuel pump problems

Hello,

I have a 2003 F200.

I am now on my 3rd blown fuel pump. The first time was at 200 hours and the low speed pump went out. Both pumps were replaced at about 350 hours, and now at 375 hours, I am unable to run the motor. Given the symptoms and their similarity to the past problems, I feel that this is the same problem again.

The motor died while running, acted starved of fuel, and will not start. I checked all the pump fuses, the fuel line bulb is full of fuel and the filter on the motor also. The Racor is only about 10 hours old, so I do not suspect it.

My question is this: What could be causing these pumps to fail? I cannot beleive that this type of attrition rate is normal for these parts. What can I check other than the anti-siphon valve, fuel lines, filters, etc? Will a flow restriction that causes the pump to work to hard ruin the pump? Every time this has happened I have been running at cruise about 4K RPM.

I had been confident in my mechanic as he stated that the first one was due to bad pumps that had been upgraded, the second round was due to E-10 (I have adopted all the Yamaha recommended activities such as additived, 10 micron filters, etc), but now that I am dealing with this again, I think I may need to look elseware, as the cause might be something else.

What can you recommend?

Thanks,
    Jim

To be honest I'm not sure. The four stroke models have give us less trouble than any of them. So far most of the fuel pump failures as been due to water in fuel or old fuel varnished up. But it sounds like you have already taken steps to eliminate those problems.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X