98 C75 overheat problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 98 C75 overheat problem

Recently purchased a Hewes Bayfisher powered by a 98 Yamaha C75 outboard. Initially when I ran the motor on the earmuffs water was flowing nicely out the discharge. When I took it to the lake for the 1st time, I noticed there was no water exiting the discharge after running WOT. I dropped the lower unit and it looked like the impeller had spun loose of the woodruff key therefore it was not turning. Replaced impeller and thermostat. Next time on the lake everything worked good for most of the day. Late in the day I'm running WOT and the RPMs kick down to 2K. Never got an alarm... Last night I drop the lower unit again to check the impeller and check for obstructions. Everything looks to be in order. I did notice that the poppit valve was stuck shut. So I removed it and my local dealer has put one on order for me. Question: Would a jammed shut poppit valve prevent water from exiting the discharge? Is there any water flow diagrams available for this engine?
    BTW... I checked the overheat alarm under the console and it is functioning. I will check the sensor on the powerhead next.

Thanks in advance.....

Experts need not answer.
    I figured it out.

Comment

Working...
    X