Prop for 25ELHP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop for 25ELHP?

Our 25ELHP has a pretty beat up 9 7/8 x 11 1/4 prop on it. I did my best to clean it up. It would work. We haven't had it out yet on our boat. It's a 1990 Sea Nymph v-bottom (FM145, I think.) It's a tiller boat with live well on one side, seat front and back. Where the middle cross support/seat is factory removed and open. It has a plywood floor with carpet. Plus my brother-in-law and I. Probably both in the 200 range. Plus gear. What would be a good prop? Should we just wait and see how this beat up one does?

The only way to tell is to check rpm's with tach to see if it's turning between 4500 and 5500 rpm's. It sounds like you would be able to use a smaller pitch prop like a 9 pitch.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

ok, so how do I do that if the motor doesn't have a tach gauge on it?

Comment

Without the tach you can only quess and try different props. You might check with your local dealer to see what they charge to check rpm's, it may be cheaper than buying props.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Can I add a tach to this motor? From the parts breakdown it looks like there is an optional guage cluster. I've also seen the tach's in cabela's etc that are hour meters and tach's in one but when I read the package it says for 4 stroke, not 2 stroke.

Comment

Yes the tach will need to work on 2 stroke and have a 6 pole setting to work on that engine, there are aftermarket gauges that will work. You can use Yamaha 6Y5-83540-14-00 Tachometer and also need 6Y5-63553-N0-00 harness to connect to key switch.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X