Prop Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Replacement

Question: I just changed my prop on my 2006 90hp. Same prop but I received a SS spacer/washer with the new one. The old one just had a tin cup like one.

Is there an advantage of adding the SS one? It is more weight for sure. Just wondering if there are any negatives or positives in switching.

It's not an SS prop.

Thank you

Hi Harley

I have a 90 as well. If I recall there are 2 spacers, large one behind the prop, small one at the nut. I would use the one that came with engine if you are speaking of the larger one. I would not worry about the weight. A stainless prop may be 50X the weigth of the washer. Is there any more detail you can share?

Also are you striper fishing now? I am NJ, want to try this year, thought it would be another month.

Jon

Comment

Thanks for the reply Jon.

Let me explain a little clearer. I am replacing a aluminum prop with the very same aluminum prop. The guy I bought it from gave me a SS spacer/washer with it that he said went for 30 bucks. I’m just wondering what if any the advantages or disadvantages of using this SS spacer washer is.

As for the Stripers, HELL YA! We here in CT can fish in the Housitonic, Conn. and the Thames Rivers for Stripers all year. These 3 rivers have winter hold overs. In the Thames last week my buddies fished for 3.5hrs. Caught well over a hundred Stripers from 16” to 32”. Small plastics on a 1/2oz jig head. Lots of fun and good practice for the soon to be spring run. I give up sleeping during the spring and fall to cast all night.

Tonight we are going to get hit with a foot or so of snow. I have my boat and bike all ready and the Toro blower away. I think I might have jumped the gun a little on this one.

Comment

Hi Harley,

Really no advantage with SS washer other than durability. The weight thing is not a consideration. After thinking about it, I am surprised that the original was aluminum...

I would be interested in your performace data, changing the prop. I run the 90 on a Boston whaler Montauck hull, using a 17in pitch stainless. I can run 5700 RPM with med/light load. 42MPH?

I will do some stripers in about a month in the Hudson River.

You mentioned you were going out last night 3/15, Hope you did because I know you cant be going tonight during this storm...

the best

jon

Comment

Actually the spacer/washer that was on there was about .050 tin. The SS one is about .5 thick.

Since buying my new boat was the worst buying experience I have ever had buying anything I would venture to guess that this one might not be what the manufacturer suggests. The clown at Pandofles Marine is in a class by him self. I refuse to speak with this clown ever again. If he was the only dealer I would sell this boat for a loss in a heart beat and buy something else. Boat had been paid in full for over 2 months and I was still not on it. Sorry, I won’t get started on my rant.

Boat: Angler 173 (17’ 3”) all fiberglass construction. Very light boat that gets me in the skinny water to hunt Striper down. Hence the new prop needed first week in the river. Never hit it in reverse when the nose hits the shoreline and a 45 footer is tossing a large wake at you. I was very focused on the fish at that time. )

I heard some good and bad things about this company but liked the boat set up and checkout what others major concerns were. I’m very happy with this boat. Jumps out of the hole shot and handles great even in the 8 foot rollers I was jumping outside of the Chesapeake Bay were I was caught off guard by some weather. I was running at 5300 and breaking 50mph last summer. I’m going to adjust the engine (up or down) to get her to 5500 and see what she'll do. I have FF and GPS to track speed.

I’ll get the specs (with boat weight, fully loaded) and post them once I’m on the water again. Need to dig the dam boat out now. We had over a foot of snow and ice and this weekend is looking good to fish.

Comment

Working...
          X