1986 Yam 40HP Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Yam 40HP Steering

Hi, I have just assembled my single cable steering controls ( Quicksilver) for my Yam 40HP. The steering is incredibly stiff, so much so that when turning to Sboard the rachet mechanism slips a notch and I am frightend it's going to break. With the linkage disassembled you can turn the wheel with two finders and the rod moves in & out smoothly. The Outboard swings very easily , I've lubricated everything that moves more or less. When everything is connected it becomes very stiff requiring 2 hands to move it a quarter turn. I have read previous posts re. cleaning the OB steering tube. I will try this but I thinks it's already pretty clean. I have even tried lighter lube oil thinking the resistance/stickyness of a heavy lube could hinder movement. I am pretty new to Outboard setup so any additional advice would be appreciated. All linkages are a little loose allowing free movement.... I've spent hours on this now and am getting a bit stumped...
    John

Is the OB locked for on-road transport, thus not allowing side-to-side meovement?

Comment

Working...
    X