starter does nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter does nothing

my starboard engine (250 OX 66) does not crank when the key is turned. The battaries are fine and the starboard engine digital display (tach)lights up and "beeps" but nothing seems to happen..no indication there is a load on voltometer either. Connections seem good..I had the same but an intermittent problem a couple of times last month that seemed to go away........but now I get nothing
    What should I look for first. How should I trouble shoot? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

HI, I have had the same problem, it turned out to be the Key Switch. Replaced it, and everythingwas ok.
    Dennis

Comment

Thanks for your reply Dennis. Sounds like a good possibility. Do you know if or how I can "jump" the starter at the engine to confirm that the starter switch is not providing current to it. If it is possible, that should confirm I have power to the motor and that the switch is probably the culprit. Because of the dual swith housing and location it will be quite a job to replace the switch if that isn't the problem.

Comment

swap harnesses AT dual switch to isolate the ONE switch.
        you have 3 engine kills, neutral on throttle, lanyard kill and neutral on gear linkage at motor.the 2 neutrals will stop the starter.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I swapped key switch at harnesses and the questionalbe switch started to port motor and the port switch did not start the starboard motor. It seems the switch is not the problem.
          I then checked neutral at the helm and confirmed engine was in neutral by free spinning prop. Is there another way to check that the engine is sensing neutral? Also I checked lanyards at both helms and seems to be no problem. A quick connect of power directly to the starter did spin the starter briefly. Any additional assistance would be helpful.

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I found the problem to be a loose connection at at a wire connector from the neutral indicator from the helm.
            Thanks again

Comment

Hi, There are two switches in the starting circuit, the "Shift cut switch" and the "Neutral switch"check the neutral switch, located in the shifter assembly. it is a micro suitch, I have had one of these go bad on me. Disconnect the two wires going to it and tape them together,and try to start the motor. Another thing to look at is the 20 amp fuse for the starting circuit, check for corrosion, which could give you the intermittent problem which you discribed when all this began. I have had no issues with the "shift cut switch" so I do not know where it is located, If you know, or someone else knows, you would check it the same way as the neutral switch. You could also check the switches with a continunity checker.
              Dennis

Comment

Thanks again for all your help. Please see my reply above

Comment

i learned that lesson stuck on one motor in the bahamas...pulled my hair out for half a day.glad you got 'er fixed.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I can keep my plans for fishing tomorrow (thought I would have to cancel). King fish and Wahoo inside with live bait seems to be "best bet". Lots being caught. I would prefer running offshore for weedlind and dophin but not many dophin around for last 2 or 3 weeks. Thanks for the support.
                    dave

Comment

Working...
                    X