1994 150 Carb rebuild question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1994 150 Carb rebuild question

I'm in the midst of rebuilding the carbs on my 94 150TXRS and have run into a bit of a snag.
    Is there a trick to getting the pilot jets (item 12 on part list) out of the float bowl? I tried filing down a screwdriver to fit in the access hole but the jet won't budge and is on verge of stripping out the head(s)
    OR, could I get by just disassembling the rest of the bowl and flushing these 2 jets out with spray carb cleaner and compressed air while they are still in the bowl?
    Thanks for the all the other great information you guys have provided me in the past.

There are two things you could try. First turn the bowls upside down and fill the pilot jet cavity with a good penetrating oil and let it soak for 15 minutes then put screwdriver on the head and hit the screwdriver handle with a hammer LITELY several times, Allow it to soak another 15 minutes then repeat with screwdriver and hammer. Now with cavity filled allow it to soak over night. The next day repeat the same procedure a couple time with screwdriver and hammer then try to remove the jets. If this does not work the next thing would be to try useing a propane torch and direct the tip of the flame all the way around the pilot jet. Do not put the flame tip on the pilot jet, this with expand the jet and make it even more difficult to remove. Once you have heated around the jet use screwdiver and hammer again then while it is still hot try to remove the pilot jet. Do not use a high heat,getting the carb bowls to hot will warp the bowl.Use caution, to much heat will distroy the bowls. Also allow the bowl to come to room temperature on its own, do not cool with water, this will also warp the bowl. Good luck with the rebuilds.

[ February 21, 2007, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Bay Catt ]

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I have tried penentrating oil ( Break Free Brand) but not the other steps you mentioned. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
      X