Steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering

I bought an 87 champion 18ft w/ 87 yamaha prov 150 The steering is really tight.The guy said he made it that way. Is there a way to adjust the steering to loosen it up? The boat is in really great shape.

WHAT type of steering system is it.

Comment

Hi, I doubt if "he made it that way" As far as I know there is no way to make steering tight, my bet is that the rod that goes in and out at the motor needs lube, if you are lucky, and the steering cable is not bad.
      Try this... Disconnect the attaching hardware at the motor, and Remove the steering cable and rod from the motor, then see if it rotates from side to side easily. It should, if it is a little stiff, or if you haven't already done it, lube all the grease fittings at the pivit points, up and down, as well as side to side. Next, clean out the tube on the motor that the steering rod goes through. use something like brake clean, and a rag,get it as clean as you can, then put lots of water resistane grease in it, I use Amsoil water resistant wheel bearing grease.
      Next before you re-attach the steering in the tube of the motor, turn the steering wheel, it should be effortless. If it is hard to turn, you need to replace the steering cable. Don't bother to try to free it up, you will be wasting your time, and only prolonging the agony, and chanceing having it freeze up on you when you realy need it. Murphy's Law.. If it moves freely, put everythig back together and go fishing. Let me know how you make out
      Dennis

Comment

does it have dual steering cables? if it does then he could have made it tight. if it has one cable then something is wrong.
        Michael Babuchna

Comment

Thanks guys, i`ll give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
          X