115, 1998 , 2 Stroke, Fuel Problem Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115, 1998 , 2 Stroke, Fuel Problem Question

After sitting it will not start without pumping and pumping the ball. Then most of the time it still doesn't. A quick one step squirt of ether in the carbs and it starts. Once running there is no problem.
    Is it normal that after being idle the ball is almost always totally empty of gas? Doesn't seem right, but I installed a new ball with no change.
    I ran carburetor cleaner through with no help.
    Used clean external gas can with no help.

Any suggestions as to my next step?

hello
    make sur the choke is working good and closing the carburateurs very well.
    frenchy

Comment

Your engine is 9 years old. Replace fuel lines from water seperator to the fuel pump. This is not costly and is good preventive maintenacnce. You may have a very small crack or pin hole that allows air to enter.

Comment

what do yu mean "sitting"? how long?
        frenchy

Comment

what do you mean about "sitting"? how long?
          frenchy

Comment

Thanks you all for the info.

When I said sitting, I mean after I finally do get it started, go fishing then sit an hour or so it won't start. Short periods like 15 minutes or so it will usually start.

Comment

hi
              at this time of the year,even in florida, after 1 hour sitting i have to re-choke mine.
              do you re-choke the engine? how is the cold first start in the morning?
              frenchy

Comment

I'm also in Florida, I do re-choke when trying to restart. The first cold start up in the morning is terrible, usually need to feed ether into the carbs., or a bit of gas under the sparkplugs.
                Thanks again for you input.

Comment

ok so, first, can you hear the "clic" from the engine when you choke, ingnition on only, no start position?, the "clic" is the sound of the choke solenoid.
                  remove the carb cover , choke the engine and make sure the butterfly is closing the carbs all the way.
                  frenchy

Comment

Thanks guys, I am going to change the lines, gas hand pump and fuel pump. I'll let you know.

Comment

I have now tried all new gas lines, new hand pump, checked chokes (working ok), new fuel filter....Same problem, after sitting about 3/4 to 1 hour it won't start without ether in carbs or bit of gas under sparkplugs. Than runs great.

I'm down to carburetors unless someone has another suggestion.

thanks again.

Comment

im not sure about the '98 but does it have a fuel line junction at the motor? if so i would remove it and run the line direct.
                        if you suspect carbs, remove the airbox while running on hose, choke each carb throat with a finger to listen for improvement.
                        also have you pulled each plug wire while running to listen for the distinctive change ?
                        if you still have the original fuel pump/s you might consider changing/checking them.

[ February 22, 2007, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: jb123 ]

Comment

Finally everything works. As a last straw took off the carbs, cleaned them, although nothing looked bad. Replaced them and had them adjusted via computer at local marina. Now runs good, no additional parts were needed.
                          Thanks to all for help.

Comment

see.....cleaning carbs should have been the FIRST straw...noone ever believes theirs are dirty ! good to hear its better !

Comment

Working...
                            X