97 Yamaha 25 HP carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 97 Yamaha 25 HP carbs

I recently purchased a 14' jon w/ a 1997 25 hp Yamaha (MLHV3) w/o water testing. Hooked up to hose, started right up, ran fine. Took down to river, and bogs down when WOT, will run fine in gear at idle or with a little throttle. compression 150, 150, 140 (cold). Tested two gas tanks to no avial (thought tank was problem). Took apart carbs to find that they have been taken apart before. Found parts diagrams on www.yamaha-motor.com., but not enough detail. main jet #96 and slow air jet #54 numbers check out. I noticed two other jets when dissassembling carbs. They where on opposite side of main/slow air jets, opposite bowl/float side. Top jets where #140 & #120, Middle #140 & #120, bottom #140 & #150. Yamaha parts diagram (carb diagram # 15 & 16 calls these plugs, but are actually jets (underneath?). My question is this - should there be plugs in these holes or jets (I assume jets), and where are the proper locations for them (not enough detail on Yamaha drawing)? I would think that the top carb would have the bigger jets (#140 & #150, gravity?).

Would a repair manual from Yamaha tell me the locations of these jets? Are yahama manuals better than others?

Sorry so long, but need some help. I need to fish. I love it.

Bartlett

its flat rubber plugs to seal off the holes under the little metal cover. have you checked the timing for wide open throttle?
    Michael Babuchna

Comment

Yes, they where under rubber plugs. Do you know which ones go where? I just want to make sure they are right, since they have been taken apart before. I labeled them how I took them out, but that don't mean they were put back in right the first time.

I don't know much about the timing. I reckon i can get a manual. How hard is it to set? I have ordered some parts (jets, gaskets, etc). i am going to put back together and see how it runs. If it still don't run, i might take it in to a dealer.

Comment

those are press fit brass plugs that arent supposed to come out.
        Michael Babuchna

Comment

Working...
        X