200 hp HPDI too much oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 hp HPDI too much oil

I recently had my 200hp HPDI completely rebuilt. It began idling poorly right away and would occasionally "puff" and stall. It progressivley ran worse until it wouldn't run at all. When tilted, there is alot of oil coming from the air intake housing. I am looking into the check valves on the oil injection system as was suggested. Anything else to be suspicious of or ignored when it was put back together? It has an entirely new block, pistons, crank, etc. Any guesses or suggestions would be appreciated.

what year motor?
    it was probably set to run rich for the breakin and never set back. is it still under warranty? as they should step it back of you. is yours just the manual lever con*****ed oil pump or computer con*****ed?
    an "entirely new block" would have new check valves in it, but possible one could be bad or clogged.

Comment

It's a 2001. It has only run for maybe two hours after rebuild and warranty is restricted by me having to incur the cost of pulling the powerhead again and shipping it 1800 miles. I assume it is manually con*****ed as the oil injection pump has the rod linkage? All the original parts were to be pulled and reinstalled. Visually it appears to be closed with the throttle in the neutral position. May be out of my league.

Comment

Who did the power head installation? Is it the original oil pump? I sent you the service manual to peruse through, just to make sure everything is within specs. Pull the air intake cover off and see if you can see where the oil is coming from. There's a couple of O-ring seals on the mechanical oil pump's shaft, if they're bad (or missing...) will let raw oil flow into the crankcase. This is not uncommon.

-Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike!! Got your e-mail and appreciate all your input. I had the powerhead rebuilt in your neck of the woods. Sent it with all of the goodies still attached and got it back and installed it myself. Looks like I have lots of "leads" now to check on. Can't thank you enough for your help.

Comment

mike i agree with the break in question also be advised as a yamaha mechanic we are aloud to bill yamaha 2 hours labor cost on all engine break ins/also remember that on premium blend oil systems oil lines are all specific lenths in order to regulate oil necessities if you cleaned up any oil lines by cutting them shorter you could have caused a problem,good luck keep us posted

Comment

Working...
            X