Who Is Right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Is Right?

I have on my Skeeter a Mercury/Quicksilver water separator filter... Have had since it was new.. Here is a pic of type, and where it is located.

Trying to locate a replacement #35-807172 is impossible. So I decided I would change to a more modern type. Like this one.

This Racor #B32013 (filter and bowl) will adapt to the old Mercury/Quicksilver filter head..
    On another Bass Fishing site, I mentioned this change-over, and was immediately told this was not allowed, due to the bowl melting and gas fire.

So, to clear up the guessing ****, I called Racor /Parker Co in Ca. A person told me this was allowed below decks and behind bulkheads of boats.

So, who is right here..

I see the photo's didn't like the site.

How do you post pictures here?

Comment

you dont post photos here...
      and my trick to replacing MY water seperators...if my finger fits in it..itll work. dont sweat it, theres only a few sizes, the most common one being about half inch diameter opening.

Comment

With the Racors the metal bowl is UL listed for use in enclosed spaces, the clear plastic bowl is not. Doesn't mean much to the average boater since most people like the clear bowl so they can see if water has built up in the filter. I use the clear bowl myself. If there's a fire hot enough to melt that bowl I'm gonna be gone already.

-Mike

Comment

Water separators are all pretty much common. They separate the water from the gas. Use what ever one you are comfortable with, however keep the inside diameter of the inlet and outlet the same size. The element is where you have to use your judgement on what is the most suited micron rating.

Comment

I have used that one as well when I had a V6 Merc, and never an issue, I used it for years. I water getting in to the tank from the vent. I used this until I was sure I solved the problem. I also know there replacement filters that will fit the merc system. Consider a 90 micron element for the ethanol treated gas...

Good luck

jon

Comment

Jonp, I think you mean to a 10 micron filter rated for 90 gph flow.

Comment

I THINK THE DIFF BETWEEN THE TWO TYPES OF SEPERATORS IS THE PLASTIC IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE USED WITH INBOARD TYPE ISTALLATIONS. IE HEAT FROM THE MOTOR MELTING THE PLASTIC BOWL.AS WITH AN OUTBOARD THE ENTIRE ENGINE IS HANGING OFF THE BACK OF THE BOAT SO THERE IS NO HEAT BUILD UP.
                AND NO SAFETY CONCERNS.

Comment

Ooops, yes 10 micron filter. If gas gas/ethanol gets to the point we need a 90..... Maybe I consider solar power

Jon

Comment

Working...
                  X