Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Drip

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I noticed a couple of drips of oil on my engine and it appears to have come from the little tube that is right above the oil drain screw (not sure what that tube is). It was a very small amount, hardly noticeable. I looked underneath the cowling and I could not see any visible leaks, although there was a very small amount of oil pooled near the back of the engine, small enough that it looked like it may have just been a spill from the last service. We're talking an amount that barely marked a paper towel when I cleaned it up. Other than that, it is clean as a whistle under there. The boat has been stored in my garage all winter and I didn't notice any oil until yesterday. The engine is tilted in the down position.

Any ideas? Where does that tube connect to?

The boat won't be used for at least another 2-3 months until the season starts but I'm not sure if this is something to freak out about right now. I've been looking at it again and it doesn't look like anything else has leaked. Is it possible this was just a spill from the winterization service that has just now managed to leak out somehow? Not sure what else I can do. Like I said, I don't see any other signs of a potential problem.

Thanks in advance!

Oops, meant to add this is on a 2005 F50 4 Stroke.

It doesn't sound there is much or any problem . When you get it out of storage just watch it for leaks but it's probably ok.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Doesn't sound like its much to worry about but its good to meet another boater who pays attention to detail. I have a 2004 F50 4 stroke with less then 100 hours and it doesn't leak a drop. I wash the engine down after each use and it still looks like new. Outboards are expensive, keep up the good work.

Comment

Thanks folks!

I'll definitely keep an eye out for additional oil (so far so good) and when I start it up first time later this year.

Later!

Comment

Working...
        X