2002 F/LF-225 SVC MANUAL & FUEL FILTERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 F/LF-225 SVC MANUAL & FUEL FILTERS

Is it me or do the official Yamaha Service Manuals just plain "suck"???? Good Lord!

I've never seen anything so blatantly amateurish and incomplete in my entire life! I paid Yamaha (Atlanta) a veritable 'King's ransom' on-line for this flippin' manual hoping it would be of some practical use, but incredibly, there isn't a single part number cited ANYWHERE in it for the most basic of items like the fuel filter. Nothing! And the dealer tells me they can't get such parts without knowing the part numbers first?!#$%^&*?

Doh! Are you joking?? One can dissect this entire manual, and he'll find plenty of instructions on replacing it, loads of cute little diagrams showing it - you'll find part numbers for everything else from timing belts to grease guns! But NOWHERE (!!) will you find a part number for the fuel filter!

Is it me? Am I asking too much here? Or should I return this scrap to them along with a nice little nasty-gram demanding a refund? Good God! What would you have us do next Yamaha? Sell it?

Maybe you should try looking in a parts catalog first? In fact there's an online parts catalog right here on this website that might come in handy....

-Mike

Comment

Yuup, yuup, been there, done that! And I was indeed able to FINALLY determine the part number. However, we were never advised of this website or the information available therein by Yamaha or its dealer(s). We had to fumble around ourselves for days or weeks to find it. More importantly, we were steered towards buying the printed manual by those very same dealers with the understanding that all such information was contained therein.

So, no, whether its available on-line at some esoteric website or not, I'm afraid (in my mind), after paying Yamaha $15,000+ per motor, it doesn't answer the central question posed of them. Namely, why are they selling patrons high-priced, incomplete manuals that lack even the most BASIC of information? And simply put, there is no legitimate defense to that question.

Comment

There isn't an officially "factory" trained technician within a thousand miles of me (!!!), and I doubt that there's a boat-load of them near you either, no matter where you call home!

The fact is, most service and repair people doing work on Yamaha OBs are trained locally, and most receive their training on motors other than Yamaha (i.e., Honda, Mercury, etc.). And that's a fact!

But thanks for the reference. I'll be glad to check it out.

Comment

Whats bad is hes right most of the shops I have worked at will not send there tech to the east coast to go to school. I have had to do all of it on my own and here in Washington state theres not many of us who do that

Comment

HAMFISTED:

I took a second hard look at the official Yamaha parts catalog per your suggestion, and I did so on the bench right in front of the local Yamaha dealer so there would be no confusion . . . no part number! Called Shipyard Island Marina, one of the largest Yamaha parts outlets in North America and had them look through it as well . . . again, no part number. Any more questions?

JUST-IN-TIME:

The answer to your question is "HAWAII"

ALEUTIANWEST:

Pre-cisely! The dealerships (and Yamaha) want the "sales" profits, but they couldn't care less about spending any money to train technicians for post-sale "service". So thanks for your concurrence.

Comment

11 65L-24563-00-00 ELEMENT, FUEL FILT $22.04 1

you DID say fuel filter, right?

http://www.boats.net/yamaha/partsyst...mponent=384351

Comment

JB123:

Thanks for your time and effort in providing this part number information, but as you can see here from my post back on January 24th ("Yuup, yuup, been there, done that! And I was indeed able to FINALLY determine the part number"), I was able to find the part number some days ago, but on the "free" website you've referenced here, NOT in the official high-priced Yamaha Service Manual.

Thanks again though!

Comment

ok, just making sure...as were all here to try to HELP you, not to listen to whiners.

Comment

If you want information on SERVICING your Yamaha look in the SERVICE Manual. If you want to buy PARTS look in the PARTS Catalog. At least that's the way its been for the last 30 years I've been working on them. But every once in a while we run across someone that just needs the stuff spoon fed to them.

-Mike

Comment

Reef ranger,
                      After the sale Winward Boats won't be much help.
                      They don't have much of the parts in stock, so you might as well order from Boats.net and cut the middle man.
                      I have better luck getting oil filters and spark plugs from Dominico's motorcycle shop in Kaneohe. They're a Yamaha dealer (only bikes).
                      Aloha

Comment

HAMFISTED:

Uhhh, isn't a fuel filter change a "SERVICE" event to you and other self-proclaimed experts there Chief??!#$%^&*? Good Lord! I'm afraid that somehow, this has become a 'heavy-lift' for you, but think about it for a moment, O.K.? If it wasn't a routine "SERVICE" event, then why did Yamaha list "fuel filter change" in its SERVICE manual, and omit the fuel filter element part number, while simultaneously listing the part numbers for all other routine tune-up parts all in the very same SERVICE manual (i.e., spark plugs, oil filter elements, etc., etc.)? Got spoon, brah? Try check kitchen drawer!

PITAHUI:

Regarding Windward Boats, you're absolutely right! It seems that anything and everything I ever need in the way of Yamaha parts, I'm forced to order myself from somewhere on the mainland (i.e., Windward Boats won't have it and can't get it). Its nuts! Everything from spark plugs to filter elements to dual-input ear muffs, you name it! And its been that way as far back as the mid-80s. I honestly don't know why (or how) they stay in business. But mahalos for the pointer on Dominico's. I'll have to stop by and check 'em out sometime. Good luck to you!

Comment

Working...
                        X